Interfaith Works Volunteer Opportunities
Would you be willing to volunteer, or to recruit a volunteer, to help with Interfaith Works programs? Lots of opportunities are listed below. IW office staff is ready to offer all kinds of support services to volunteers. To get involved, or to request information about any program, please call 357-7224, 9:00am to 2:00pm Monday through Thursday.
Walk together, walk strong
SideWalk is a volunteer driven advocacy organization that aims to end homelessness through coordination of resources. We walk together, walk strong to find everyone a home. There are a variety of volunteer opportunities with SideWalk, such as assisting clients with applications for housing and other services, or becoming a client Advocate. For more information and a volunteer application, please e-mail Emma Margraf, Community Outreach Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org.,or click this link: http://walkthurston.net/volunteer/sidewalk-volunteer-opportunities/
There are also volunteer opportunities with Rosie's Place at Community Youth Services or at the Family Support Center Family Shelter.
Bulk Mailing Help (monthly)
IW sends over 600 pieces of bulk mail per month.
- 3-6 persons to fold the newsletter at 9:30am on the 3rd Tuesday of every month.
- Or to stuff envelopes occasionally as needed and available.
Emergency Overflow Shelter (November - March)
Interfaith Works recruits member faith communities to house and staff the emergency shelter for homeless women and families for two to four week shifts. IW provides mattresses and other bedding, bus passes as needed, and employs Emergency Shelter Network to screen and refer potential clients, and provides training for volunteer shelter staff. This program, begun in 1991, provides about 500 bednights per year.
- 3 committee members to oversee the recruiting scheduling of faith communities and to consult on special financial expenditures. Time commitment about 6 hours per year.
- One Shelter coordinator for each faith community.
- Two or more volunteer staff per night to host. (Training provided.)
CROP Hunger Walk (May 6, 2012)
The 2012 CROP Hunger Walk Committee needs volunteers to help with publicity, marketing, and with registration of walkers on the day of the Walk. Call 357-7224 or 352-9703.
- 3 committee members to help organize the walk. Annual commitment about 16 hours.
- One volunteer to solicit local corporate sponsors for the walk.
- Faith Community Recruiters recruit & organize walkers from the faith community.
- Group Recruiters - Recruiters recruit & organize walkers from various community and civic groups.
- Registration table volunteers work about 4 hours on the day of the walk.