Come share with your community...|
Talking Points for "The Olympia Family Barter Faire!
- Why do you call it a Family Faire? This is a Family event. This comes from the acknowledgement that we are all related, and through that sense of relatedness, we care for one another. How do we wish to interact and be treated in our family? The Barter Faire is a Family generated event. We each may take on different roles at different times, but the organizers are you.
- How many people do you expect? Our goal is between 400-600 for this our fifth year.
- Why Barter? It is a system that relies on person to person connection, thus it codifies the notion of community and interconnectedness. Also, barter does not necessitate currency, and therefore allows independence from the governmentally created economic system. Value is not based on the abstraction of dollars, but on the true value each individual has for the product or service offered.
- Why does local matter? Out of creating local economic exchanges, we give the economic boost to our neighbors. With the money they earn, they also have the opportunity to reinvest in local businesses. The alternative is to fatten the pockets of corporate executives in distant states. Local producers can be held accountable easier because they are easily accessible, and with this we can also have a more intimate understanding of the products we use.
- Where will it be this year? At the Cabana on Schincke! Just 10 minutes via car or 20 via bicycle from Downtown Olympia!
- What kind of site do we seek? Do you know of a possible site? The following are the qualities we’re looking for.
- 15-20 acre rural site within 30-40 minutes of Olympia.
- Flat for at least 10 acres and the rest could have very gentle slopes.
- Open pasture land without too many ruts/holes.
- Along a river would be ideal.
- Distant from neighbors who might mind the noise.
- Owners of the land who are supportive of our cause.
- Available for two weeks in August or September.
- When will it be? September 10-11, 2011
- Is anything else going on there besides barter? Oh yes! There will be skills sharing workshops, a stage for performers, a meditation garden, night time music making and sharing around community fires, swimming(if available), a children’s play area, camping, and lots of wonderful connecting with our community.
- Is this a one time event? Nope. We are aiming to foment a tradition of bartering in the South Sound Region. Look for us next year too!
- Where will I camp? There will be onsite camping for vendors next to their booths. Non-vendors will have campsites nearby.
- Can I come just for a day? Yes. We will have day-time parking available.
- Is this going to cost me anything? Yes. This however is not a profit-making venture. Our Membership fees are appropriate to cover costs, gain the seed money for the next year, compensate for some services, and whatever is left we will use to build community in the Olympia area through donations or a revolving loan fund. Buy a Member pass and come to the Annual gathering: Cost $30 dollars per vending booth(include s entrance for one person) at the door and $25 in advance from brownpapertickets.com... Ages 15 and under are free. Temporary Membership is good for Saturday of the Olympia Family Barter Faire including camping: Cost $10 per person… Ages 15 and under are free. Sunday is Free. Also, for those who are in financial difficulty, there will be volunteer opportunities to defray their costs.
- How can I get involved? There are many ways to get involved with the Barter Faire, and WE WANT YOUR HELP! We are currently in the organizing stages and are looking for potential board members, fundraisers, financial contributors, promoters, skill share organizers, entertainment organizers, venders, artists, participants, and volunteers during the event. If there is some other way you’d like to be involved, that’s great too! To be on the Barter Faire email list, send us an email.
- What’s your policy on drugs? Well I’m glad you asked. Our policy is that illegal drugs and alcohol are not permitted. We’re aiming to avoid the unhealthiness that comes from a drunken & drugged atmosphere, and we want to keep the focus on creating a sustainable community oriented economy.
- Can I bring my dog? Simply, No. There are just too many concerns about sanitation and dog fights. Sorry if your dog and your parenting skills are exemplary, not everyone’s are.
- Can I run my vehicle or generator during the faire? Sorry. No, that is not allowed for any reason. We aim to create a healthy atmosphere for everyone at the faire and that includes air and noise pollution.
- Can I make a fire? The Faire will be organizing community oriented fire pits spread evenly throughout the faire. You are encouraged to contribute firewood to these fires. Personal fires will not be allowed due fire safety and air pollution concerns.
- Can I leave in my car and come back? Not if you are parked in the barter circle. If you are parked outside the circle you may leave, but you must have your membership pass to return and you may park in day-parking.