CROP Hunger Walk
Sunday, May 5, 2013. Our 33rd Walk!
People from every faith tradition and walk of life are concerned about hunger. Interfaith Works co-sponsors the Thurston County CROP HUNGER WALK each year on the first Sunday of May.
Volunteer walkers raise funds for local hunger-relief organizations and to fund humanitarian projects around the world.
Our local Thurston County CROP HUNGER WALK successes:
- 2012 Walk raised $46,520
- 2011 Walk raised $49,021
- 2010 Walk raised $54,188
Ways YOU Can Participate!
- Be a walker, a sponsor, a team leader, or a committee member.
- Volunteer to help register walkers, serve refreshments or sell tee shirts on Walk Day.
- Make a financial donation to our Walk.
Contact Chairman Wayne Gruen at 352-9703, or phone us at 360-357-7224, or see 'To register on-line' below.
Donate or Register to Walk On-line
You can sign up to participate or donate on-line to the Thurston County CROP HUNGER WALK. Just follow the link below:
You can also support a particular person or team if they have registered on the site. Donating money with your credit card at this website is fast, easy, and very secure.
The 10K (6.2 mile) walk starts and ends at the State Capitol Campus in downtown Olympia. For a map of the route click here.
For more information on being a walker, click here.
On the day of the walk, park on the Capitol Campus and come to the Temple of Justice steps. Bring your walker form to the Registration tent between 12:30 & 1:30. The Opening Ceremony is at 1:15 p.m. The walk starts at 1:30, led by the Olympia Highlanders Pipe and Drum Corps.
Every year, 25% of the funds raised go to local feeding programs chosen by the CROP HUNGER WALK committee. 2010 local recipients are:
- First Baptist Church -- Sunday Dinner Feeding Ministry
- Meals on Wheels Senior Nutrition Program, Senior Services for South Sound
- Out of the Woods Emergency Food and Shelter, Olympia Unitarian Universalist Congregation
- Sacred Heart Emergency Outreach
- Salvation Army / Olympia Community Kitchen
- St. Benedict's Community Dinner Program
- St. Vincent DePaul Society
- Thurston County Food Bank
- Our CROP Hunger Walk will be held to show our love and active concern for neighbors in need near and far, raising awareness and funds to change the world in real and measurable ways -- digging wells that will bring clean water to villages; providing seeds and tools so that people can grow their own food; helping communities and families rebuild after disaster. Whether it's responding to flood and tornado damage in parts of the U.S., or helping to rebuild earthquake-damaged homes in Haiti, Chile, and Japan, CROP Hunger Walks are making a difference.