House Prayer Guidelines
as of 12/2007, last changed 3/2003
Guidelines For Participation In The Proceedings Of The Washington State House Of Representatives
- Thank you for your interest in participating in the proceedings of the Washington State House of Representatives.
- Under the Rules of the House, each daily session opens with roll call of the members, presentation of colors, and prayer.
- To facilitate your participation and to ensure the orderly conduct of business before the House, we ask that you be mindful of the following:
- The members of the House, their staff, and the citizens of Washington whom they serve hold a variety of beliefs and opinions, including Christianity, Judaism and Islam. Each is deserving of respect.
- Conclusion of the prayer should embrace the collective prayerful thoughts of all present in an interfaith manner, rather than "in the name of..." a particular deity, unless such recognition is a part of your faith.
- Prayer should be short and should not include reference to specific legislation, issues which may seem political, or personal issues. It should be mutually respectful of and inspiring to members of all faiths.
- The purpose of prayer in the opening ceremonies is to seek guidance and to provide for contemplation, inspiration and reflection; it is not meant for entertainment, proselytizing or persuasion.
- House Rules provide that only members and certain employees may be on the floor while the House is in session and that only the Speaker may recognize visitors in the gallery.
- Guests should be on the rostrum when the daily session is called to order.
- Asking others to join or participate in prayer, conducting ceremonies or using props is inappropriate.
- The dress code of the House provides for business or traditional attire.
Other House instructions as of 12/2004
Your prayer should be approximately one, but not more than two minutes in length.
Please call Patty Moore at 786-7750 the afternoon before or at 8:30 a.m. each day to confirm the convening time; they may not even need a prayer some days. Please plan on arriving at the Chief Clerk's office approximately 10 minutes prior to the convening of session; the office is located on the Third floor of the Legislative Building, behind the House Chambers. Check in at the Legislative Building guard shack, at the end of 14th Avenue SW. You will then be given a parking pass and instructions on where to park. Please feel free to contact Patty Moore at 786-7176 if you have questions or need any assistance with directions.
Directions to the Washington State Capitol
From I-5 Southbound:
- Take Olympia exit 105.
- Then exit 105A (exit 105 divides into 105A and 105B).
- This exit will eventually merge with 14th Ave. (Watch for merging traffic from the left)
- Proceed down 14th Ave., moving into the left hand lane when safe to do so.
- The first major intersection is Jefferson Street. Proceed thru the Jefferson St. intersection and into the underpass.
- Proceed thru the underpass to the Capitol Way intersection. You are now at the intersection of 14th and Capitol Way.
- Proceed thru intersection and onto the Capitol Campus. Please check in at the flag circle parking lot guard shack between the Legislative Building and Temple of Justice; they will instruct you on where to park.
From I-5 Northbound:
Take Olympia exit 105.
This exit will eventually merge with 14th Ave.
Proceed down 14th Ave. in the left hand lane.
The first major intersection is Jefferson Street. Proceed thru the Jefferson St. intersection and into the underpass.
Proceed thru the underpass to the Capitol Way intersection. You are now at the intersection of 14th and Capitol Way.
Proceed thru intersection and onto the Capitol Campus. Please check in at the flag circle parking lot guard shack between the Legislative Building and Temple of Justice; they will instruct you on where to park.
House chaplains should arrive at the Chief Clerk's office on the third floor of the Legislative Building (behind the House chamber) approximately 10 minutes prior to the convening of session. Please call Patty Moore at 786-7750 or 786-7176 if you have questions or need any assistance with directions.